Tuesday 17 September 2013

Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome: PCOS

What with is being PCOS awareness month thought I'd talk about my experience of it.
As an acupuncturist I regularly work with women with this condition, but hadn't realised it was a prevalent as 1 in 10 women world wide!! Its cause is unknown (hence syndrome haha)) and as yet there is no cure. 

 However in 2010 LIm and Wong conducted a review of the current research into acupuncture treatment of this condition and concluded that "Acupuncture therapy may have a role in PCOS by: increasing of blood flow to the ovaries, reducing of ovarian volume and the number of ovarian cysts, controlling hyperglycaemia through increasing insulin sensitivity and decreasing blood glucose and insulin levels, reducing cortisol levels and assisting in weight loss and anorexia. However, well-designed, randomised controlled trials are needed to elucidate the true effect of acupuncture on PCOS." 

Read More: http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/09513591003686304


I know personally that most of the women I have worked with have found their treatments to be of benefit; regulating their cycle, improving their skin as well as helping to manage appetite and as such weight.. and of course even resulting in pregnancy for many! (which is often the primary reason for seeking acupuncture for this condition!).  I am not suggesting I have the cure, but just that i know I have worked with many women with this condition and they have felt better for it... definately the main reason I do what I do.. helping people feel better!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment